Cloudinary's Media Optimizer simplifies the process to optimize and deliver high-quality media with high performance, low latency and massive scalability.
For an overview of Media Optimizer and how it can help you to optimize the media on your site, see the Media Optimizer Guide.
To get started quickly with Media Optimizer, follow these steps:
Contact us to chat with our sales team, who will then guide you through the process of creating your Media Optimizer account.
You will be asked to select the cloud name for your account. Pick a cloud name that's a good representation of your organization, application or website.
By default, the cloud name is used in your media delivery URLs, which take the form:
https://<cloud_name>.mo.cloudinary.net/<path to media>.
Once your Media Optimizer cloud has been set up, you can log in to your account, and familiarize yourself with the console. Use the links below to learn more about each of the pages:
- Dashboard: See an overview of how your media is performing, including a scatter plot map of your assets based on their delivered quality and file size so you can identify areas of improvement quickly.
- Transformations: Manage and create new transformations that you can apply to your assets.
- Reports: Monitor and analyze quality, performance, bandwidth and other metrics.
- Configuration: Set up Media Optimizer to work with your site by configuring your media sources, delivery profiles and mapping functions.
A media source defines where your media is stored and how to access it.
To create a media source:
- In the console, navigate to Configuration > Media Sources and click Add New.
- Complete the form:
- Media Source Name: Enter a name for your media source.
- Type: Select where your media is stored. You can choose from:
- Enter details about your media source based on the type.
NoteIf your media storage is not covered by any of the types listed, please contact support.
- Click Save.
Your media can now be delivered from its original location, through Media Optimizer, by replacing the base part of your media URLs with the default delivery endpoint,
For example, if your original media URL is
https://www.mydomain.com/rest/of/the/path.jpg, and your cloud name is
mycloud, the new delivery URL would be:
To verify your configuration, enter the URL into a browser and check that it returns an image or a video. If you get an error, check out troubleshooting.
Update the media URLs on your website to Media Optimizer delivery URLs, and start enjoying the performance benefits of optimized media immediately!
There's a lot more to learn about Media Optimizer, for example:
- If you want to use a custom domain, rather than
<cloud_name>.mo.cloudinary.net, you can configure a domain and use this in your delivery profile.
- If you are migrating from a platform that performs media optimizations, you can create a mapping function to avoid having to update every URL on your site manually.
- If you want to customize the transformations applied to your media, you can create named transformations and add these to your delivery profile.
Head over to the Media Optimizer Guide for all the details.