For a complete overview of Media Optimizer and how it can help you to optimize the media on your site, see the Media Optimizer Overview.
If you've followed the Media Optimizer walkthrough you'll have seen how easy it is to get started using a web address media source. This quick start is similar, but demonstrates how to set up Media Optimizer as an HTTP proxy, letting you optimize any publicly available media.
You can start configuring an optimization profile in any of these ways:
- From the Getting Started tab, click Configure an Optimization Profile.
- From the Dashboard tab, click Add Optimization Profile.
- From the Configuration tab, click Optimization Profiles > Configure Your First Optimization Profile, or Add New.
Enter a name for the optimization profile.
Connect your media source to Media Optimizer as follows:
Click Connect a new media source.
Complete the form:
- Media source name: Enter a name for your media source.
- Type: Select
Select your media source from the dropdown.
If you have more media sources to connect, repeat these steps for each media source.
- Leave the Domain as it is - it will be of the format:
- The Path prefix acts as an identifier for the optimization profile. Set it to something meaningful for the media that you'll be optimizing using this path. You can create further optimization profiles to apply specific transformations to different types of media.
Notice how the URL example changes to
https://<cloud name>.mo.cloudinary.net/<path prefix>.
Leave this as
auto_format_auto_quality. This transformation is recommended for all media. It automatically changes the format and quality level of your media to deliver every asset in the optimal way.
- Click Save to save the optimization profile.
- Click Enable Optimization Profile in the popup dialog.
You can now start delivering your media through Media Optimizer and see the benefits of the optimizations.
- Use the copy button on the optimization profile you created to copy the optimization profile URL.
It will be of the form <cloud name>.mo.cloudinary.net/<path prefix>.
- Deliver media through your HTTP proxy by appending the URL of the media to the text that you copied. For example:
Original media location:
- http://www.mydomain.com/rest of path/image.jpg
Media Optimizer delivery URL:
- https://<cloud name>.mo.cloudinary.net/<path prefix>/http://www.mydomain.com/rest of path/image.jpg
- Paste this URL in a browser, and see your media being delivered through Media Optimizer.
All you need to do now is update all the media URLs on your website to Media Optimizer delivery URLs, and start enjoying the performance benefits of optimized media immediately!
See the size and format for yourself using whatever media inspection tools your browser provides when you right-click on each image, or try the Cloudinary Media Inspector Chrome extension.
*Depending on your browser, you may see a different format and size.
There's a lot more to learn about Media Optimizer, for example:
- You can apply different transformations to different types of media using optimization profiles.
- You can connect more than one media source and add them to the same or different optimization profiles.
- If you want to use a custom domain, rather than
<cloud_name>.mo.cloudinary.net, you can configure a domain and use this in your optimization profile.
- If you are migrating from a platform that performs media optimizations, you can create a mapping function to avoid having to update every URL on your site manually.
- If you want to customize the transformations applied to your media, you can create named transformations and add these to your optimization profile.