This year Cloudinary is getting involved in Hacktoberfest in a way it hasn’t before.
We’re making many of our open source SDKs available on GitHub to count towards your contributions to Hacktoberfest!
Bonus: On top of the rewards you get from hacktoberfest.com, your contribution will get you a Cloudinary swag pack, including a limited edition 2023 T-shirt, stickers, and a much coveted Cloudinary Unicorn.
Here’s how to get involved.
For a decade now, Hacktoberfest has been bringing people from around the world together to come up with creative and innovative contributions to Open Source projects. Hacktoberfest has grown from 676 participants in 2014 to nearly 147,000 participants last year. The celebration runs from October 1 through October 31.
The official program incentivizes contributions with genuinely meaningful rewards. This year, they’ll plant trees on behalf of the first 50,000 participants who have their first PR (Pull Request) accepted. On top of that, if you complete four PRs, you’re eligible for a unique digital reward (TBD).
But it’s not only about the reward, it’s about the celebration of open source and giving back to the community. It’s also a chance to fix some pesky bugs or add new features to the tools and libraries that you love to use!
This year, we’re officially joining the celebration, opening up many of our official SDKs and libraries maintained by the community to count towards your Hacktoberfest contributions.
Here’s a complete list of the official projects we’re making available:
- Python: https://github.com/cloudinary/pycloudinary
- PHP: https://github.com/cloudinary/cloudinary_php
- Ruby: https://github.com/cloudinary/cloudinary_gem
- Go: https://github.com/cloudinary/cloudinary-go
- DotNet: https://github.com/cloudinary/CloudinaryDotNet
- CLI: https://github.com/cloudinary/cloudinary-cli
Here are the Cloudinary-supported community libraries available:
- Next.js: https://github.com/colbyfayock/next-cloudinary
- Svelte: https://github.com/cloudinary-community/svelte-cloudinary
- Nuxt: https://github.com/nuxt-modules/cloudinary
- Netlify: https://github.com/cloudinary-community/netlify-plugin-cloudinary
- Gatsby: https://github.com/cloudinary-devs/gatsby-transformer-cloudinary
- Gatsby: https://github.com/cloudinary-devs/gatsby-source-cloudinary
- Laravel: https://github.com/cloudinary-devs/cloudinary-laravel
- Raycast: https://github.com/colbyfayock/raycast-cloudinary
- Cloudinary examples: https://github.com/cloudinary-community/cloudinary-examples
To be sure you’re contributing to a project that’s participating in Hacktoberfest, look for the “Hacktoberfest” label on the repository!
While we absolutely appreciate all contributions in any form, only those who follow the rules below will be eligible for the Cloudinary swag pack:
- DO NOT submit spammy PRs: These will immediately be marked as invalid.
- DO NOT submit typo fixes: These might be merged (thank you), but won’t count towards swag.
- DO NOT submit a PR without an active Issue that has been approved: While we appreciate you being eager to contribute, please first find an Issue or file a new Issue where we can discuss before digging into a PR.
- DO have fun!
We reserve the right to not send a swag pack if we feel that the contribution fails to reflect the spirit of Hacktoberfest or it doesn’t meet the qualifications above.
And now the fun part!
This year’s swag pack will include:
- 1 Cloudinary Hacktoberfest T-shirt (Limited Edition)
- 2 Cloudinary Hacktoberfest Stickers (Limited Edition)
- 3 Cloudinary Stickers
- 1 Cloudinary Unicorn
We’re excited about what’s included this year and even more excited for it to arrive at your doorstep.
We’ll try our best to ship the swag to wherever you are in the world, but we won’t be able to ship to any actively sanctioned countries. Additionally, countries like Brazil may need a Tax ID ahead of time.
Once your contribution is accepted and merged, we’ll provide you with an address form.
We’ll use the address you send us “as is.” We can’t take responsibility for misdelivered packages.
No, there will only be one swag pack per person.
We’re following Hacktoberfest rules, so the Pull Request needs to be submitted in October. That said, if we don’t merge it in time, we won’t keep you from that sweet swag, as long as it’s valid and submitted in October, you’re good to go.