Shopify is an e-commerce platform that enables you to set up your own online shop. It offers a suite of services including payments, marketing, shipping and customer engagement tools to simplify the process of running an online store for merchants.
Key to online retail is having relevant images and videos portraying your products. By using the Cloudinary App for Shopify, you can offer exceptional media experiences to your customers, with automatic optimization, fast delivery and engaging presentation of product media.
Additionally, you can maintain a single source of truth for all your assets, with all the media management benefits that Cloudinary offers.
- Improved page load times: The Cloudinary App automatically optimizes the format and quality of images and videos displayed on your storefront and caches content on fast content delivery networks for speedy delivery.
- Responsive media: Media is automatically resized on the fly to suit any viewing device.
- Engaging product media experiences: Display your product media using Cloudinary's highly customizable and accessible Product Gallery.
- Single source of truth for media: Store all product media in Cloudinary's Media Library with one click to benefit from advanced media management and editing capabilities.
This animation shows how the Cloudinary app for Shopify operates at a high level:
|0:00||As a Shopify user, you create a product and upload your images and videos to that product in Shopify. You can add tags to the product and decide on the order of the images in Shopify to determine the main image for the product.|
|0:07||The app gives you the ability to upload each of those media files to your Cloudinary Media Library with the push of a button. The assets in Cloudinary are tagged, and metadata fields are set, with information provided by Shopify, such as the product handle and tags set on the product.|
|0:11||Cloudinary responds back to Shopify with information about the assets, which is stored in product metafields in Shopify.|
|0:13||The Cloudinary app Liquid snippets reference the metafields to display the images and videos on your Shopify store. You need to include these snippets in the appropriate places in your theme code. The media is delivered from Cloudinary in the most optimal way for the viewing device.|
To get started with the Cloudinary Shopify app, go straight to the user guide where you'll learn how to:
- Upload your Shopify media to Cloudinary.
- Edit your store's theme to display media delivered from Cloudinary on your storefront.
- Inspect your store's media URLs to verify that images and videos are being delivered from Cloudinary in the optimal way.
- Manage your product media, either by continuing to upload to Shopify and syncing to Cloudinary, or by uploading media directly from Cloudinary and making the most of its media management features.
You may also want to take a look at Cloudinary's five-chapter Guide to Building the Ultimate E-Commerce Website. The guide includes suggestions by e-commerce and technical experts on how to build a versatile marketplace by selecting automated e-commerce and CMS platforms that help you create, modify, and deploy adaptable user experiences.