Media optimization involves delivering images and videos with the smallest possible file size while maintaining visual quality. Optimizing media means saving bytes and improving performance for your website: the fewer bytes per asset, the faster the browser can download and render the content on your users’ screens. Research shows that this speed is directly related to visitor satisfaction and even monetary conversions.
- Half of web users expect a website to load within two seconds.
- A 1-second delay in page load time can decrease visitor satisfaction by 16% and can also lead to a drop in conversion of 7% or more.
- Load time is a major contributing factor to page abandonment, and the abandonment increases as a percentage with every second of load time, with nearly 40% of users abandoning a page after 3 seconds.
- 73% of mobile internet users report that they’ve experienced problems with page load times on their devices.
These statistics are from 2009 and 2010, and it’s reasonable to assume that visitors’ expectations have only increased over time.
Most of the time, it is media that has the most impact on slow load time.
Cloudinary’s built-in fast CDN delivery helps to get all resources to your users quickly. Additionally, Cloudinary automatically performs certain optimizations on all transformed images and videos by default. But beyond this, Cloudinary also provides many features that enable you to further optimize your media to fit your needs.
- Image optimization: How to optimize the delivery of your images by resizing, adjusting the quality, and using the most optimal formats.
- Video optimization: How to optimize the delivery of your videos, including how to use optimal formats, codecs and bitrates as well as resizing and adjusting the visual quality.